The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall are set to fly to Jordan, and are set to visit Egypt, to celebrate the countries relationships with the UK. It com
The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall are set to fly to Jordan, and are set to visit Egypt, to celebrate the countries relationships with the UK. It comes Her Majesty continues to recover from her recent ill-health and sprained back.
Reports suggest Charles has discussed the trips to Jordan and Egypt on behalf of the Government.
It is understood that he was reassured by Her Majesty the official visit, which has been designed to strengthen bilateral relations in the region, should go ahead.
It is hoped that the prince’s decision to go ahead with the tour with his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, may also reassure a nervous public about the head of state’s health.
On the Clarence House Twitter page, the royals said: “Today The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will begin their Autumn Tour 2021!
“Their Royal Highnesses will visit Jordan and Egypt to celebrate the UK’s special relationship with each country.”
Charles and Camilla will arrive in Amman on Tuesday, and will mark the centenary of Jordan’s foundation.
The royals will also highlight trade, economic and cultural links, and the effect of the climate change crisis on the kingdom.
On the first day of engagements, the couple will be welcomed by King Abdullah and Queen Rania at Al Husseiniya Palace.
Later in the week Charles, 73, and Camilla 74, will fly to Egypt where they will enjoy a visit to the pyramids.
The couple are set to pack in more than 30 official engagements between them during the four-day trip.
READ MORE: Prince Harry helps launch new report to tackle ‘disinformation crisis’
It comes after the Queen was forced to pull out of Remembrance Sunday celebrations, with the monarch’s last official engagement taking place on October 19.
Less than two hours before she was expected to arrive, Buckingham Palace announced her “regret” at having to pull out after spraining her back.
It was only the sixth time she has missed the event and the first time in 22 years.
Palace aides stressed to the MailOnline the monarch’s condition was in no way connected with her hospitalisation last month and no one “was more disappointed” than the Queen herself at the unexpected turn of events.
Richard Palmer, Daily Express royal correspondent, said the Queen’s diary of public engagements has been largely scrubbed clear for the rest of the year as she rests at Windsor Castle.
He added she is expected to return to light duties later this week, including virtual audiences with diplomats, after missing the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph in London because of a sprained back.
Apart from her daily routine of going through official state papers, she had no other formal duties yesterday.
The 95-year-old monarch has no further outside engagements in the next few weeks, meaning it may be January or February before she is seen in public.
Normally Her Majesty goes to Sandringham at Christmas and resumes public engagements in mid-February. However, she could remain at Windsor.
Royal commentators have suggested the Queen has entered a new phase, seen on video far more than in the flesh.
Joe Little, managing editor of Majesty magazine, said: “In terms of official engagements before the end of the year, I don’t think we will see her out and about doing anything officially, even if she recovers from the sprained back.”
Mr Palmer added it is difficult for Her Majesty’s aides to plan anything as she recovers from her back sprain and follows doctors’ orders to rest after an apparently more serious and unexplained ailment.