Monday, November 28, 2022
HomeSportMattia Binotto expected to face Ferrari sack 'within hours' after disappointing season

Mattia Binotto expected to face Ferrari sack 'within hours' after disappointing season


Mattia Binotto is expected to lose his job as Ferrari team principal within hours, according to Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera. It is understood Binotto and Ferrari CEO John Elkann are in talks over the release clauses with an official announcement thought to be imminent. 

Binotto is also believed to be leaving Ferrari after joining the team back in 1995. His departure is over a lack of trust from Elkann with Corierre claiming the pair’s relationship has been cold for a long time.

It is reported Binotto has told close friends that he was too tired to continue his work at the Prancing Horse. Binotto’s deal was set to expire at the end of 2023 but the boss has faced questions about his position since Ferrari’s title bid evaporated.

Alfa Romeo boss Frederic Vasseur still appears to be the favourite to replace the Italian. However, Ferrari denied the speculation ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix last weekend, claiming reports were false.

READ MORE: Leclerc told to stay at Ferrari by fans as he bids to beat Verstappen

A statement read: “In relation to speculation in certain media regarding Scuderia Ferrari Team Principal Mattia Binotto’s position, Ferrari states that these rumours are totally without foundation.” Last week, French newspaper L’Equipe claimed Binotto and Charles Leclerc have not been on speaking terms since the British Grand Prix. 

The Scuderia has been blamed for making a series of strategic errors which cost Leclerc a chance at fighting Max Verstappen for the title. Elkann also put pressure on Binotto at the Italian Grand Prix as he demanded improvements from his team. 

Elkann said: “We must continue to make progress and that goes for the mechanics, the engineers, the drivers and obviously, the entire management team, including the team principal. We have seen that there are still too many mistakes when it comes to reliability, driving and strategy.”

DON’T MISS

Charles Leclerc opens door to replacing Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes [INSIGHT]
Leclerc ‘frustrated’ as Ferrari star sets sights on Verstappen revenge [ANALYSIS]
Helmut Marko blames Perez ‘mistake’ for Red Bull losing to Ferrari [COMMENT]

But, Binotto stressed he was not concerned in Abu Dhabi after revealing he had received assurances from Elkann. Binotto told Sky Sports F1: “Obviously it’s not down to me to decide, but I’m pretty relaxed.

“The reason why I’m relaxed is that I have always open, frank and constructive discussion with my bosses, with my chairman, not only on the short term but on the medium and the long term.

“More than that, if I look back at the season, yes, we had a few up and downs and today we are not the fastest car on track, but we achieved our main objective to be back and competitive in the new era of the 2022 cars.”



RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular