FANCY jazzing up your dinner? Nadiya Hussain is causing a stir with a new book and series packed full of exciting recipes for all the family and
FANCY jazzing up your dinner?
Nadiya Hussain is causing a stir with a new book and series packed full of exciting recipes for all the family and quirky takes on dinner time favourites.
From mac n cheese to banana skin bagels we share four surprising recipes from Bake-off winner Nadiya’s Fast Flavours.[/caption]
From cheese puff mac n cheese to chocolate salami, we share up four surprising recipes from Bake-off winner Nadiya’s Fast Flavours.
Nadiya’s Fast Flavours, by Nadiya Hussain, (Michael Joseph) is available now, £22.
And watch the series on BBC Two on Thursdays at 8.30pm.
CINNAMON SWEET PESTO
NADIYA says: “This is pesto, just a little bit reinvented – or in fact a lot, since it’s sweet and there is no pasta in sight.
“Made with nuts, chocolate, spices and coconut, this, like any pesto, is a bung-it- in-the-processor type situation.
Like any pesto, this dish is a bung-it-in-the-processor type situation[/caption]
“Perfect for a quick dessert, served alongside a rainbow of tropical fruit and biscuits, it’s easy but impressive and a bit of a crowd-pleaser.”
Most read in The Sun
I'm A Celeb viewers all have the same complaint within minutes of series starting
Queen attends double christening at Windsor chapel after battling back sprain
Ferguson leading charge to bring Pochettino to Man Utd after Solskjaer sacking
NO LOVE LOST
'I got £1k of filler to look young on Love Island but was labelled granny AJ'
'I still felt pregnant…I was in total shock', Jorgie Porter on her miscarriage
DALES RACE PROBE
Emmerdale rocked by race probe involving two of ITV soap’s leading stars
Serves 6 – 8, Prep: 10 mins, Cook: 20 mins
- 100g pine nuts
- 120g white chocolate, plus extra shavings
- 40ml coconut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 30g coconut chips, toasted
- Sliced mango
- Sliced kiwis
- Cigarrillo wafer biscuits
- PREHEAT the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C. Start by toasting the pine nuts in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool and then add to a food processor and blitz to a fine crumb.
- Now melt the chocolate, add the coconut oil and mix till melted.
- Add the pine nuts and cinnamon and mix well. Arrange in a serving dish.
- Toast the coconut chips over a low heat in a non-stick frying pan for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut chips and chocolate shavings over the dip.
- Surround the bowl with an array of colourful fruit, cakes and biscuits and serve.
ONE-PAN CHEESE AND EGG SANDWICH
NADIYA says: “As meals go, this is a whopper; perfect for a lazy Sunday morning or a late brunch.
“It has everything – bread, eggs and cheese – all cooked and folded in one pan, with tangy pickle and a warm, oozy centre. It’s not just fun to eat, but fun to make too.”
As meals go, this is a whopper; perfect for a lazy Sunday morning or a late brunch[/caption]
Makes 1, Prep 10 mins, Cook ten mins
- Oil, for frying
- 4 medium eggs
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Small handful of finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 slices of white bread
- 1 tablespoon chunky pickle
- 50g Red Leicester, finely grated
- Start by pouring some oil into a large non-stick frying pan and heating over a medium heat.
- Break the eggs into a bowl with the salt, chilli and chives and mix well.
- Lower the heat of the oil and pour in the egg mixture, making sure you have an even layer.
- Take your two slices of bread and lay them open so they are symmetrical. Place both slices of bread into the runny egg and leave till the egg is cooked.
- Flip onto a large plate or board, so the bread slices are no longer visible. Slide back onto the pan.
- Spread the visibly shaped tops of the bread with pickle.
- Flip the edges of the egg inwards over the pickle on all sides.
- Add the cheese to one slice of bread, flip the other piece over it and leave to cook till the cheese has melted (about 2 minutes), making sure to press down with a fish slice to encourage the cheese to melt and stick the bread together, along with the egg.
- Once the cheese has melted and beautifully welded the eggy bread, take the pan off the heat and give it a few minutes or you will burn your mouth, then cut and enjoy.
BANANA SKIN BAGELS
NADIYA says: “During lockdown I revealed my love of banana skins – nothing new to me, but new for many on social media.
“Yes, that banana peel that we all normally just throw away is edible and full of potassium.
“One of my favourite ways to cook it is simply in this garlicky barbecue sauce and wedged inside a chewy bagel with spicy cheese and pickle.”
That banana peel that we all normally just throw away is edible and full of potassium[/caption]
Serves 4, Prep: 15 mins, Cook: 15 mins
- 6 ripe bananas skins (about 400g)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bbq sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 4 bagels
- 4 slices of spicy Mexican cheese
- 8 slices of pickle
- Wash the banana skins thoroughly and pat dry. Remove and discard the tough stalks, then chop the rest into thin strips about 3cm long.
- Pour the oil into a small non-stick pan and turn the heat to medium.
- Add the onion and cook till golden brown and dark – this should take about 5–10 minutes, so not very long.
- Add the garlic and stir through, cooking for a minute. Now add the banana skin and the salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the barbecue sauce, brown sauce and the ketchup and mix through to warm.
- Turn on the grill.
- Take the bagels, slice in half and pop the eight slices on a tray.
- Cover the four bottom halves of the bagels with the banana skin mix.
- Add the cheese on top and grill everything till the cheese has really melted and the top halves are toasted golden.
- Take out and add mayo to the four top halves. Add the pickles to the cheese, cover with the bagel tops and they are ready to devour.
MAC AND CHEESY
NADIYA says: I have a dozen different ways to make mac and cheese.
“This is my kids’ slightly psychedelic version, made using their favourite puffed cheesy crisps, which they used to devour as youngsters.
“The extra cheesiness and bright orange colour from the cheese puffs blitzed to a powder is mixed with the mac and topped with breadcrumbs.
“It’s fun, it’s delicious and it’s bright!”
Serves 6 – 8, Prep: 25 mins, Cook: 45 mins
- 400g macaroni pasta
- 30g unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons plain flour (30g)
- 600ml whole milk
- 170ml evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract
- 450g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons Worcester Sauce
- 8 x 16.5g packs of cheese puffs, blended to a powder
For the top:
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Cheese puff crumbs
- 50g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Start by cooking the macaroni as per the instructions. When the macaroni is cooked, drain, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C.
- Make the sauce by putting the butter in a saucepan and popping onto a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk in. Add the milk a little at a time, whisking all the time until incorporated.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, add the evaporated milk and yeast extract and cook until the mixture is thick. Take off the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the sauce and mix in until melted.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and half the cheese puffs, then add the macaroni and mix through.
- Tip it into an ovenproof dish and level off the top.
- Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs, remaining cheese puffs and the grated cheese.
Bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Take out and leave for 10 minutes before eating.
Nadiya says: ‘During lockdown I revealed my love of banana skins – nothing new to me, but new for many on social media’[/caption]
Nadiya’s book also shares her recipe for this chocolate salami[/caption]
Nadiya’s book is packed full of exciting recipes for all the family and quirky takes on dinner time favourites[/caption]
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?
Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4104. You can WhatsApp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too.
Click here to upload yours.
Click here to get The Sun newspaper delivered for FREE for the next six weeks.